Sunday, April 16, 2006

home sweet home


Everything in my mind says go, go, go! Oaxaca, Spain, Japan, India, South Africa, the American West, and more. But my body has been telling me to slow down. Carsickness, heat sickness, diarrhea. No more traveling! it tells me. Take your coat off and stay for a while. Sit still. It seems my body aches for a certain stillness, one where my roots run deep into the ground, a place where my life is intricately tangled.

We have finally moved into our casita here in San Pablo, right in time for the celebration-filled week of Semana Santa. I am hoping that growing a few short roots here in making a home will redress the balance of my tired muscles. Today Ian and I put up posters. Now we’re thinking about making furniture. Next week we’ll be helping to build our bathroom. And there’s always the stove that needs to be carted up the mountain from the center of town. Here we have a beautiful view of the valleys and peaks and it’s cozy and warm at nighttime. Currently I’m in the front yard, listening to the breeze push the trees around, watching the few meandering clouds drift over the landscape. A lavish turquoise lizard suns itself on the rocks next to Ian, who is lost in the words of his journal. The ground is soft and there’s room to plant the stillness I need to rebuild my weary stomach.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Effective picture. Hop a flight. Or, read the email reply I sent Ian.

"I went afar to find myself, and did so when I got back."

Love, hugs, and smiles,
Paul

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A writer you are!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger bostezo said...

Amiga que bueno leerte. Vero

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take care of your weary body as you only have one...tired is what I feel as I approach each day..i think i wouldlike to come vsit once you haul the stove up from the mountian...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home